f1

Home hope Arthur Fils withdraws from the French Open with hip injury

Sky F1

Arthur Fils, the top-ranked French player at No. 19, withdrew from the French Open on Saturday because of a hip injury. Fils had retired in the first set of his opening match at the Italian Open in his last Roland Garros warmup.

The 21-year-old Fils said his hip “was bothering me a lot” and while exams didn't reveal any issues he still felt “a lot of pain. ”

PARIS (AP) — Arthur Fils , the top-ranked French player at No. 19, withdrew from the French Open on Saturday because of a hip injury. Fils had retired in the first set of his opening match at the Italian Open in his last Roland Garros warmup.

The 21-year-old Fils said his hip “was bothering me a lot” and while exams didn't reveal any issues he still felt “a lot of pain. ” “So I was not able to practice for the last two weeks. Actually, the practice today was my first-ever points since two weeks (ago) in Rome,” Fils added.

“I will not be fit 100% to play the tournament, and I will not take any risk like I did last year. I don’t want to be stupid. ” Fils withdrew from last year’s French Open after the second round due to a stress fracture in his lower back.