football

US government tells DR Congo how long they must isolate before they’re allowed to enter for World Cup

Yahoo Sports

Photo by Simon Barber/Getty Images DR Congo’s World Cup preparations have been handed a strict condition by United States officials before the 2026 tournament in the United States, Mexico and Canada. The squad have been told they must isolate for 21 days before they will be allowed to enter the United States. That is a severe requirement before any major tournament.

It may be understandable on public health grounds, but it still leaves DR Congo with one of the most awkward World Cup build-ups any qualified side could face. DR Congo must isolate for 21 days before entering the US The requirement comes because of the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo. US officials have informed FIFA, the Congolese national team and the government in Kinshasa that the squad must maintain a bubble in Belgium, where players are currently training.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, said DR Congo must maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can travel to Houston on June 11. That is the key point. DR Congo are not simply dealing with advice or a loose recommendation.

Giuliani also said the Congolese government had been told that the squad must maintain the bubble or risk not being able to travel to the United States. The rule may be understandable but it still leaves DR Congo in a difficult place The public health context is serious. The World Health Organisation listed 82 confirmed cases and seven confirmed deaths in DR Congo, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.

The outbreak has been caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. That makes the US position easy to understand, even if the sporting consequences are heavy. A World Cup squad normally wants rhythm, routine and freedom before a tournament.