NASCAR could consider waiving hall of fame eligibility rules for Kyle Busch, CEO says
NASCAR CEO Steve O'Donnell said the sanctioning body could consider moving up Kyle Busch's Hall of Fame eligibility.
NASCAR may consider waiving its hall of fame eligibility rules for Kyle Busch , CEO Steve O'Donnell said on May 22. Busch died on May 21 after being hospitalized the previous day with what his family called a "severe illness". "I know that we put that on the list of ideas that we want to look at," O'Donnell said at Charlotte Motor Speedway, site of this weekend's races .
"I said earlier thereโs things we want to do this weekend, and then we have a little bit more time to think about what we could do as well in the future. Who knows, that could be something we look at. " NASCAR's Hall of Fame states that drivers that competed for at least 10 seasons and are retired for at least two years are eligible for selection.
Busch is a NASCAR Hall of Fame driver, without a doubt. Two years of waiting won't change the thought. Busch has the most career wins in total across the three national series in NASCAR history (the last coming in the Truck Series on May 15 at Dover), added two Cup Series titles and a O'Reilly Auto Parts Series championship.
He is the winningest driver in O'Reilly Auto Parts Series history and Craftsman Truck Series history. "The stats speak for themselves," O'Donnell said earlier on May 22 while sharing his thoughts with the media on Busch's death. "Heโs a two-time champion.