GM president responds to NASCAR star Busch's death: 'devastating'
NASCAR star Kyle Busch's death after reportedly coughing up blood at a General Motors Co. site is "devastating," GM President Mark Reuss said. Busch died Thursday, according to NASCAR.
No cause of death has been released for the 41-year-old racer. "The shocking news of Kyle Busch's passing is devastating to me, and to everyone at Chevrolet and General Motors," Reuss said in a message posted on LinkedIn and Facebook. "Our hearts go out to Samantha, their children Brexton and Lennix and the Busch family, everyone at RCR, Kyleโs legions of fans and all of Rowdy Nation.
"He was a fierce competitor who found success both as a driver and team owner, as well as a generous benefactor to countless families with the Bundle of Joy Fund he founded with Samantha," Reuss added. "On top of all that, he found time to be a true friend to us all. " The two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion on Wednesday was coughing up blood, short of breath and very hot, according to a 911 call from the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center in Corcord, N.
C. that was obtained by USA Today. The Associated Press previously reported, citing people familiar with the situation, that Busch had become unresponsive while testing in a Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on May 20.
The 911 caller told dispatch Wednesday that Busch was conscious but distressed on the bathroom floor and asked emergency responders turn off sirens on arrival. โIโve got an individual thatโs (experiencing) shortness of breath, very hot and thinks heโs going to pass out and heโs producing a little bit of blood, coughing up some blood,โ the caller told the dispatcher. sballentine@detroitnews.