baseball

‘Crazy’ Red Sox coach’s call-up to majors included 2.4K-mile detour to get passport

Yahoo Sports

The 28-year-old went from being the Red Sox’ minor league infield/outfield defensive coordinator — six years removed from coaching high school ball — to a member of the big league coaching staff.

KANSAS CITY — When Pablo Cabrera saw Red Sox assistant GM Eddie Romero’s incoming call, he initially thought it was about a project they were working on with the player development department. “We need you to go coach first base in the big leagues in Toronto,” Romero instead told Cabrera. Just like that, the 28-year-old Cabrera went from being the Red Sox ’ minor league infield/outfield defensive coordinator — six years removed from coaching high school ball — to a member of the big league coaching staff.

He’s Boston’s interim first base coach and outfield instructor. “It was a crazy 24 hours,” Cabrera said earlier this week when the Red Sox played the Royals at Kauffman Stadium. Cabrera was in Portland, Maine, working with the Double-A Sea Dogs.

He knew the Red Sox needed to replace several coaching positions after Boston fired manager Alex Cora and five other coaches on April 25 due to a disappointing 10-17 start. But it never crossed Cabrera’s mind that he would be asked. Romero called Cabrera in the afternoon on Sunday, April 26.

Boston was finishing its three-game series in Baltimore that day with interim manager Chad Tracy at the helm for the first time. BETTING: Red Sox moneyline is listed at -156 over on DraftKings for Friday’s series opener against the Twins. Our complete DraftKings Sportsbook review provides a trustworthy guide on how to use their app.

Continue to the original source for the full article.