Real Madrid coach Arbeloa confirms exit
Real Madrid coach Álvaro Arbeloa has confirmed his exit after four months on the job and ruled out that their would be a job for him under expected successor Jose Mourinho. "It’s clear that this will be my last match this season as coach of Real Madrid, but I don’t know if it will be the last of my life as a Real Madrid coach," Arbeloa said ahead of Saturday's LaLiga season finale against Athletic Bilbao. "Hopefully, it’s a 'see you later' because I have always considered this my home.
I have been part of Real Madrid for 20 years in many roles, and I will always consider it my home. "I want to see a great match and say goodbye to the fans by giving them a victory and a great effort. Playing the last game at home is special and different.
The most important thing on a day like tomorrow is to make them enjoy it. " Former Real and Spain player Arbeloa succeeded Xabi Alonso earlier in the season. But the club finished without a trophy for the second straight year, losing the domestic title race against Barcelona and ousted by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.
Mourinho, currently in Portugal at Benfica, is widely considered the likely successor and said to be in final talks about a return to the Bernabeu. He coached Real before between 2010 and 2013. Arbeloa said there would be no role for him under Mourinho.
"In Mou’s case, I think he has a fantastic coaching staff, as good as he is, and I think he is very well surrounded. If he comes to Real Madrid, he will do so with his coaching staff, as it should be. There is no possibility that I could be part of it," he said.