Joey Chestnut’s July 4th Takes Unexpected Turn After Guilty Plea
ZUMAPRESS. com / MEGA Competitive eating legend Joey Chestnut is still headed to Coney Island this Fourth of July, even while serving probation. The 17-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion recently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge following a bar altercation in Indiana, but that won’t stop him from defending his title at the iconic annual event.
Joey Chestnut Pleads Guilty After Bar Altercation ZUMAPRESS. com / MEGA According to reports, Chestnut pleaded guilty last month to misdemeanor battery stemming from an incident that took place on March 21 in Hamilton County, Indiana. The competitive eater was sentenced to 180 days of probation following the altercation, which reportedly unfolded after an interaction with another bar patron.
Court records obtained by multiple outlets state Chestnut allegedly exchanged a handshake with someone who recognized him before striking the man on the side of the face “with an open hand. ” When questioned by police, Chestnut reportedly admitted he had been drinking heavily and had little recollection of what happened. He later reviewed surveillance footage and allegedly said the slap “looked like a joke” and that he didn’t realize the incident would escalate into a police matter.
Chestnut Says He Has ‘No Restrictions’ ZUMAPRESS. com / MEGA Despite being on probation, Chestnut confirmed he has no travel limitations and is still free to return to New York City for Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest. “I have no restrictions,” Chestnut told USA Today .
The eating champion successfully petitioned to travel outside Indiana, where both he and the incident are based, clearing the way for his return to the famous Coney Island competition. Joey Chestnut’s Legal Team Speaks Out Raising Cane’s/MEGA Following the guilty plea, Chestnut’s attorney addressed the situation, saying the matter had been resolved after the athlete accepted responsibility. “My client took full responsibility for this misunderstanding and resolved the matter by pleading guilty to a lesser-included offense of Class B misdemeanor battery, one of the lowest-level misdemeanor offenses under Indiana law,” Massillamany told Us Weekly in a statement.
Continue to the original source for the full article.