tennis

Players to cut short French Open interviews in pay row

BBC Sport

It has not yet been decided whether the players' "work to rule" will continue when the main draw begins in Paris on Sunday. An FFT statement said it "regretted" the players' decision and it was "ready to engage in direct and constructive dialogue on governance issues". More money and bigger say - are top-10 stars being reasonable?

Players will boycott a Slam 'at some point' - Sabalenka The players' campaign, which began in late 2025, is being spearheaded by former WTA chairman and chief executive Larry Scott. The American will be in Paris on Friday for a meeting with French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo and FFT president Gilles Moretton. Meetings are also planned with representatives of the All England Club (AELTC) and the US Tennis Association later in the fortnight.

The players' action is designed to put pressure on the AELTC, with prize money for Wimbledon not due to be announced for another three weeks. Last year, the Wimbledon prize fund rose by 7% to £53. 5m - double the amount on offer a decade earlier.

Players look enviously, however, at the revenues generated by the Grand Slams and feel entitled to a larger slice of the cake. The AELTC's financial statement for the year to July 2025 showed revenue of £427m and profit after tax of £39. 7m.

Players have asked the Slams to pay 22% of their revenue in prize money by 2030. They are also asking that tens of millions of dollars are paid towards pension, healthcare and maternity benefits, and that they are consulted more widely on scheduling and other key decisions. At this month's Italian Open, world number one Aryna Sabalenka said she believes players will "at some point" boycott one of the majors.