Michigan basketball's Morez Johnson Jr. officially staying in NBA Draft
The writing has been on the wall for Johnson to move onto the NBA for about a month. It became official on Tuesday.
One of the last major dominoes has fallen for Michigan basketball as it narrows down its 2026-27 roster. Morez Johnson Jr. , a standout forward on last year's national championship team with his energy, toughness and tenacity on both ends of the court, has decided to keep his name in the 2026 NBA Draft and forego his remaining collegiate eligibility.
While Yaxel Lendeborg and Aday Mara were always perceived as the two who would stay in the draft (though Mara has not officially announced), some held out hope Johnson would return to Ann Arbor for his junior season. It didn't seem likely, according to people with knowledge of the situation who spoke with the Free Press, including one who said last month that it appeared Johnson was going through the process with the intention of staying in. Now it's official, with the big man announcing his decision on social media on Tuesday, May 19.
AGTG๐๐พ Letโs do it pic. twitter. com/tsvUHrjeEm โ Morez Johnson Jr.
(@morezjohnsonJr) May 19, 2026 โThe transfer portal helps out a lot of people, especially me, coming from a program where I didn't play that much at and I felt restricted,โ Johnson told reporters during the NCAA Tournament. โComing here with Coach (Dusty) May, I started to love basketball again. It was fun.