tennis

Carlos Alcaraz to miss Wimbledon as wrist injury lingers

Yahoo Sports

Carlos Alcaraz has been recovering from a wrist injury since he last took the court at the Barcelona Open last month.

Carlos Alcaraz withdrew from Wimbledon and the remainder of grass-court season with a wrist injury. The two-time Wimbledon champion began the calendar year by claiming the Australian Open men's title, becoming the youngest player to complete the Career Grand Slam. However, he has been recovering from the injury since he last took the court at the Barcelona Open in April and had already opted out of the French Open.

"My recovery is going well and I feel much better, but unfortunately I'm still not ready to be able to play, and that's why I have to withdraw from the grass-court swing at Queen's and Wimbledon," Alcaraz said via social media Tuesday. "They are two really special tournaments for me and I'll miss them a lot. We keep working to return as soon as possible!

" Without Alcaraz, who is second in the men's ATP rankings, familiar foe and new No. 1 Jannik Sinner has been collecting singles titles at a record clip entering the French Open. The four-time major winner said he won't do much on the court before playing in Paris after a rugged schedule during which he was unstoppable.

"The main priority is to recover as much as I can in the next two, three days," Sinner said after becoming the first Italian in 50 years to win the Italian Open in Rome last week. "There is not going to be a lot of training, for sure. Tennis, zero.