general

Neymar included in Brazil's World Cup squad

Yahoo Sports

Brazil's national football coach, Carlo Ancelotti, has included superstar Neymar in his 26-man squad for the upcoming World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico. There had recently been doubts about the 34-year-old striker's fitness, which is why Ancelotti hadn't included him in the squad for two World Cup warm-ups in March, which were Brazil's final tests before the squad's selection. "Neymar can go to the World Cup – if he is 100% fit," Italian Ancelotti said at the time.

When Ancelotti mentioned Neymar's name at the squad presentation press conference on Monday, there was a huge cheer and chants in the room. "He has improved his fitness; he will be an important player at this World Cup," the manager said. The 66-year-old said he prefers experienced players for some positions in his squad – including Neymar.

"He has experience in this type of competition, the affection of our group and he can create a better atmosphere within the team," the Italian said. As expected, Vinícius Júnior of Real Madrid also made the squad. His club teammate Rodrygo, as well as the 19-year-old prodigy Estêvão of Chelsea, will miss the World Cup due to injury.

Neymar's last appearance for the record world champions was two and a half years ago. In October 2023, the injury-prone star suffered a cruciate ligament tear in his knee during a 2-0 defeat to Uruguay in World Cup qualifying. Since then, Neymar - who has 128 caps - has not rediscovered his form.

Saudi club Al-Hilal allowed him to leave on a free transfer to boyhood club Santos in January 2025.