Saints GM Loomis: the status of 3 key veterans remains unclear, but Jordan was offered a contract
KENNER, La. (AP) — The New Orleans Saints have made a contract offer to career franchise sack leader Cameron Jordan and want the 36-year-old 15-year veteran back on the team, general manager Mickey Loomis said Monday. Speaking before a charity golf event benefitting the Saints Hall of Fame, Loomis did not go into detail about the value of the offer, and also commented on the uncertain status of Saints veteran running back Alvin Kamara and versatile reserve quarterback and special teams leader Taysom Hill.
Jordan and Hill played out their most recent Saints contracts last season , while Kamara still has another year left — unless the Saints choose to cut or trade him. Jordan was a first-round draft choice by the Saints in 2011 and is now the career sack leader with 132. Last season, Jordan had 10 1/2 sacks, more than his previous two seasons combined, hitting the double-digit mark for the first time since his 12 1/2 sacks in 2021.
“Obviously, he’s meant a lot to this organization for a long time," said Saints second-year coach Kellen Moore, who also attended the golf outing at Chateau Golf & Country Club. "Last year he was a big-time leader for our program. So, obviously, would love to have him.
” Kamara, who'll be 31 next season and has spent all of his nine NFL seasons in New Orleans, remains under contract with the Saints. But the club's plans for him have been in doubt since New Orleans signed free-agent running back Travis Etienne — a move giving them two running backs who are each scheduled to be paid in the range of $12 million in 2026. “We’re just trying to see how he’s going to fit on our roster," Loomis said.
“Obviously there’s a resource management element to it. We’ll get to that over the next week or two. ” Struggling through a knee injury last season , Kamara posted career lows in games played (11), yards and touchdowns rushing with 471 and 1, and yards and touchdowns receiving (186 and 0).